I would like to share what my thinking about the tile of full stack developer.
- After I dive deeply in the front-end world, there are lots of things you needed to learn and pay a great effort to keep updated with the latest market standards.
- Previously I am a backend developer, I build some simple forms and layouts. However once I moved to retail industry, the front-end side is quite heavy and complicated; and there are many background scripts running to support different features such as analytics, image lazy loading, animations, custom UI (sticky navigation), etc.
- Even worse, if you built an UI intensive website; you need to manage your CSS in a smart way. In general, you will get to use some modular CSS tools and frameworks, e.g. SASS, Compass, OOCSS, etc.
- Oh! forget to mention the backend side; like me I need to update my C# languages; some Enterprise libraries, e.g. MS Enterprise libraries, NHibernate, Entity framework, etc.
- I think it is very tough job to have a position to know and keep updated with the market trends/standards in all these areas.
- I don’t think it is a good and healthy to assign all these works to a single position. This may impact to the quality of the work.
- Above is just my sharing, and I am taking the assumption that you are working in a big and UI intensive website like retail website. I think it makes more sense if this is a position hiring by a small to medium size company.
You are welcome to share your minds, please feel free to reply. Just my little thought!!